The truth is often avoided because it is ugly and unpleasant. Never appeal to truth and reality unless you are prepared for the anger that comes from disenchantment. Life is so harsh and distressing that people who can manufacturer romance or conjure up fantasy are like oases in the desert: everyone flocks to them. There is great power in tapping into the fantasies of the masses.
Keys To Power
- The person who can spin a fantasy out of an oppressive reality has access to untold power. As you search for the fantasy that will take hold of the masses, keep your eye on the banal truths that weigh heavily on us all.
- Never be distracted by people’s glamorous portraits of themselves and their lives; search and dig for what really imprisons them.
- Once you find that, you have the magical key that will put great power in your hands.
A Few Realities & Fantasies
The Reality: change is slow and gradual. It requires hard work, a bit of luck, a fair amount of self-sacrifice and a lot of practice.
The Fantasy: a sudden transformation will bring a total change in one’s fortunes, bypassing work, luck, self-sacrifice and time in one fantastic stroke.
The Reality: the social realm has hard-set codes and boundaries. We understand these limits and know that we have to move within the same familiar circles, day in and day out.
The Fantasy: we can enter a totally new world with different codes and the promise of adventure, skirting the sexual and relief from boredom.
The Reality: society is fragmented and full of conflict.
The Fantasy: people can come together in a mystical union of souls.
The Reality: death. The dead cannot be brought back, the past cannot be changed.
The Fantasy: a sudden reversal of this intolerable fact.
- The key to fantasy is distance. The distant has allure and promise, seems simple and problem free. What you are offering should be ungraspable.
- Never come too close to the place where you are actually expected to produce results.
- Never make the mistake of imagining that fantasy is always fantastical.
The above article is a summary from the book 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. The article is only for educational and informative purposes to explain and understand formal logic and logical fallacies. It is a great book, definitely worth a read!